A short tutorial on identifying and fixing DataTables errors arising from missing data in Koha ILS
Recently we fielded support call from Parama (Sarkhel)-di, Librarian at Ramakrishna Sarada Mission Vivekananda Vidyabhavan. Her complaint – for a particular faculty member she was not able to see the member’s checkouts, instead it showed “Loading” and then nothing happened, even though the system was showing there were 9 items checked out to her.
RKSMVV being cloud hosted, we simply punched in the specific member’s cardnumber and then clicked on “Show checkouts” button. And voila! the error was right in front of us. Experience told us that it looked like a typical DataTables error.
What is DataTables
DataTables is a JQuery plugin for displaying information in HTML tables and adding interactions to them. It provides searching, sorting and pagination without any configuration. If you wish to learn more about it, given that Koha makes good use of the plugin, please visit DataTables examples index for a quick start.
Debugging the error
We still needed to know *what* exactly was passed to the escapeHtml() function. For that we clicked on the link to the right which pointed to line number 285 inside the checkouts.js file. As the debugger’s sources tab opened the file around line number 284, it became immediately clear the exact error. One of the checked-out items did not have a barcode assigned.
Now it was just the matter of finding out *which* of the 9 items checked out to the member did not have a barcode. First, we ran a SQL query on the instance’s issues table with the member’s borrowernumber to retrieve the itemnumbers of the checked out items, and then using this list of itemnumber we queried the items table to find out which of the 9 items had a missing barcode. The result was self explanatory.
By cross-referencing the biblionumber attached to the itemnumber we opened the offending item holding record in the edit mode from the staff client and for the time put in “FIX_BARCODE” as the temporary placeholder barcode. Immediately the member’s account showed up the table of checked out documents correctly. The member was requested to temporarily return the book so that the barcode may be fixed.
But why did it happen?
The book was lent out to the member several years back from, what is now a very, very, ancient version of Koha. At that time DataTables plugin was not a norm. About an year back the version was moved to latest version of Koha and the database updated. The error was triggered now, because this was the first time this specific member had come back to the client to borrow a book. Had she tried to issue or return a book before, the error would have been caught much before.
Since we fixed the error, we also checked the entire database of any such other cases. And sure enough there were 3 more books issued to 2 other faculty members like ages back which too did not have any barcode assigned. Parama-di noted the numbers down so that these books could be recalled back and their barcode updated.
Pro-Tip to avoid such errors
For people moving very old versions of Koha to newest versions, please run SQL queries to ensure that your all your items table’s items have homebranch, holdingbranch, itype and barcode are correctly assigned rather than having NULL or whitespace before you move the updated database into production mode.